Safeguarding at St Paul’s
Promoting a Safer Church
The Parish of St Paul’s, Woodford Bridge
The following policy was agreed at the Parochial Church Council (PCC) meeting held on 21st January 2019.
In accordance with the Church of England Safeguarding Policy our church is committed to:
- Promoting a safer environment and culture.
- Safely recruiting and supporting all those with any responsibility related to children, young people and vulnerable adults within the church.
- Responding promptly to every safeguarding concern or allegation.
- Caring pastorally for victims/survivors of abuse and other affected persons.
- Caring pastorally for those who are the subject of concerns or allegations of abuse and other affected persons.
- Responding to those that may pose a present risk to others.
The Parish will:
- Create a safe and caring place for all.
- Have a named Parish Safeguarding Officer (PSO) to work with the incumbent and the PCC to implement policy and procedures.
- Safely recruit, train and support all those with any responsibility for children, young people and adults to have the confidence and skills to recognise and respond to abuse.
- Ensure that there is appropriate insurance cover for all activities involving children and adults undertaken in the name of the parish.
- Display in church premises and on the Parish website the details of who to contact if there are safeguarding concerns or support needs.
- Listen to and take seriously all those who disclose abuse.
- Take steps to protect children and adults when a safeguarding concern of any kind arises, following House of Bishops guidance, including notifying the Diocesan Safeguarding Adviser (DSA) and statutory agencies immediately.
- Offer support to victims/survivors of abuse regardless of the type of abuse, when or where it occurred.
- Care for and monitor any member of the church community who may pose a risk to children and adults whilst maintaining appropriate confidentiality and the safety of all parties.
- Ensure that health and safety policy, procedures and risk assessments are in place and that these are reviewed annually.
- Review the implementation of the Safeguarding Policy, Procedures and Practices at least annually.
Each person who works within this church community will agree to abide by this policy and the guidelines established by this church.
This church appoints Joanna Urbanek as the Parish Safeguarding Officer.
Incumbent: The Revd Ola Franklin
Date: 21st January 2019
Safeguarding – where to get help
Parish Safeguarding Officer (PSO)
Parish Priest (vicar)
Chelmsford Diocese Safeguarding Contacts
Chelmsford Diocese Safeguarding Advisor
(DSA): 01245 294457
- Emergency Duty Team – Out of hours: 01245 294444
Local Authority (Redbridge) safeguarding contact details
020 8708 3885 (9am to 5pm) or
020 8708 5897 (after 5pm and at weekends - Emergency Duty Team out of hours service)
Adult Services: 020 8708 7333 (Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm) or
020 8554 5000 (emergency out of hour enquiries only)
- Childline: 0800 1111
- NSPCC: 0808 500 8000
- Domestic Violence Helpline: 0808 200 0247
- MACSAS (Ministers and clergy sexual abuse survivors)
- Mencap Learning Disability Helpline: 0808 808 1111
- StopItNow! (For anyone who may need help preventing abuse, even in themselves): 0808 100 0900
- Women’s Aid (Seeking to end domestic violence against women and girls)
- Samaritans: 116 123